[TowerTalk] Arrow had cheapest toroids

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Arrow had cheapest toroids
From: "knormoyle@surfnetusa.com" <knormoyle@surfnetusa.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:21:42 -0700
I just ordered some 2.4" OD toroids using the part numbers K9YC provided.

Arrow Electronics  had prices that came close to the 250 piece prices jim
quoted, for my small
quantities. (www.arrow.com , just type part # into search)

They were cheaper than Mouser or Newark, but don't show up as readily on google.

Here's what I just ordered (hopefully I got it right).
The first is #31, the second #43.

10      2631803802      $5.2400 per piece
5       2643803802      $3.3000 per piece
Subtotal: $68.90

shipping was $9

I'm going to try the bifilar winding with 14 gauge thhn (solid). Seems like the
cheapest
solution with some so-239's and a plastic box. Jim gave that the thumbs up with
power, I think.
Any comments on that? I might double stack the cores with the bifilar turn
count Jim gave. I
suppose glass taping the cores is a good idea? or unnecessary?

my antennas are well matched (<2:1), so I shouldn't be seeing a breakdown
voltage problem with
the thhn? (with 1500W). I'm assuming the thhn pair is close spaced to get close
to 100 ohms.
-kevin
ad6z
-kevin