Re: [TowerTalk] Arrow had cheapest toroids

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Arrow had cheapest toroids
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 12:46:21 -0700
On Mon, 24 May 2010 12:21:42 -0700, knormoyle@surfnetusa.com wrote:

>Arrow Electronics  had prices that came close to the 250 piece prices jim
>quoted,
>for my small quantities. (www.arrow.com , just type part # into search)

Wow -- thats great news!

>I'm going to try the bifilar winding with 14 gauge thhn (solid). Seems like
>the
>cheapest solution with some so-239's and a plastic box. Jim gave that the
>thumbs
>up with power, I think. Any comments on that? I might double stack the cores
>with
>the bifilar turn count Jim gave. I suppose glass taping the cores is a good
>idea?
>or unnecessary?

Do NOT double-stack -- that will change the tuning. Note also that my
measurements
are for #31, not #43. If you want to wind some with #43, Id be happy to
measure
them for you (Kevin is my neighbor a few ridges over) and can add them to my
published data. I dont have any spare #43 cores laying around.

>my antennas are well matched (<2:1), so I shouldn't be seeing a breakdown
>voltage
>problem with the thhn? (with 1500W). I'm assuming the thhn pair is close
>spaced to
>get close to 100 ohms.

I have NOT done extensive testing for long term power handling for bifilar
chokes,
but I saw VERY little heating when I stuck it in series with my Titan at 1.5kW
for a
few minutes of keydown. You should be fine. The primary failure mode is due to
excessive common mode, which in turn is due to serious imbalance.

73,

Jim K9YC