Re: [TowerTalk] side mounting on a UST HDX589

To: towertalk@contesting.com, ke2d@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] side mounting on a UST HDX589
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 11:27:12 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/2010 2:06:17 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I am considering side-mounting a 10m LJ-105CA at the  38ft level, which
is the top of the second section of a HDX-589.??? Does  anyone know of
someone selling a pre-fabricated bracket that will fit the UST,  or has anyone
fabricated some sort of bracket that will attach to the top of a  UST tower
section?? I was thinking of taking measurements of the inner  diameter of the
section's two legs on one side, then having some sort of  "pins" slightly
smaller than the inner diameter welded to an aluminum or steel  plate, which
could then use U-bolts to hold the boom of the yagi.? Sort of how  I have
seen a TIC-Ring rotor attached to someone's UST awhile back.?? Is  TIC-Ring
still around??? I really don't need a rotor for this yagi, as I was  planning
on leaving it fixed towards Europe, but I am not opposed to a  TIC-Ring.

    I don't know of any specific solution to your  problem but I've thought
about using the top of the tower legs for small  antenna sidemounts. The
mount would be 2 vertical pieces that would slide into  the top of 2 of the
vertical legs and be welded to a triangular piece of steel  where the rotator
would sit. It's basically gravity held and for smallish  antennas should
work FB. I wouldn't recommend welding something to the tower  itself for
several reasons.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -