[TowerTalk] Choke on half sloper

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Choke on half sloper
From: bill ogden <billogden@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:10:53 -0400
I plan to order the large type 31 toroids for my yagi.  I was also  thinking
about them for my half sloper, but then I began to wonder if a choke is
relevant for this antenna.  After all, my tower is the main part of the half
sloper (connected to the coax shield); the coax runs down the tower (with about
15" standoff). Does additional coupling from the tower to the coax shield
introduce additional noise?  (My primary concern is reduced receiver noise.)

I realize there are various opinions about half slopers, but mine works
modestly well on 80 meters and so-so on 160. It is attached at about the 38'
level of a 55' tower. It is better than nothing and is better than a terminated
dipole (grounded resistors at each end) with the top at about 50'.

Bill - W2WO