Re: [TowerTalk] Is lightning hitting the tower..or the yagi's

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Is lightning hitting the tower..or the yagi's
From: "James Wolf" <jbwolf@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 10:35:09 -0400

-----Original Message-----
>> I think it was  w3lpl a while back, mentioned the lightning would stop when
>> it got to his ant farm... pass
>> right over it.... then start up again on the other side.  That apparently
>> will work... IF the towers are well grnded... and
>> have lots of well bonded yagi's  on the sides of the tower.
>

>Bonding, bonding, and bonding... But I can think of no real reason why a
>storm would just skip over an antenna farm. They, being the tallest
>subjects around usually take the brunt of the attack.

Although I have no qualitative data to support this theory, the thought is that
the tall tower and antenna elements dissipate to ground static charges in the
vicinity of the tower, reducing the effect of enough static energy to build up
for a strike. I have 27 ground rods under my tower and I can hear continuous
static discharge tics and "zips" from the top of the 130 ft tower, even when
lighting occurs many miles away.  Of course, that doesn't mean you won't take a
strike.

Jim, KR9U