Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Galling

To: Larry McDavid <lmcdavid@lmceng.com>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stainless Steel Galling
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:28:05 -0700
We agree that a fraction of an ounce of prevention is worth more than
what it takes to get a galled 1/2-13 SS bolt apart.

However, Lanacote etc. (anhydrous lanolin) has been used on SS sailboat
rigging, particularly on SS turnbuckles that get adjusted frequently for
racing, and less often on cruising sailboats, for 50+ years to prevent
galling.  It works well enough that anti-rotation safety wires are a
must.  It is not a "grease" - i.e. oil added to a carrier base.

Having used SS fasteners extensively, why is it that (typically18-8)
machine screw sizes rarely, or never gall?  From the 60's to now,
computer & disk drive manufacturers used billions of such SS sizes
without anti-galling materials.

I always use never-seize for 5/16 and larger.

Grant KZ1W

snip