Re: [TowerTalk] HOA Abuse

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HOA Abuse
From: "Clay W7CE" <w7ce@curtiss.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 07:39:28 -0700
Trying to find a decent QTH that doesn't have an HOA or restrictive
covenants is becoming next to impossible.  For most people, HOAs are not a
choice if they want to live near civilization.  I know that in my search for
a retirement QTH, I haven't found anything that meets my requirements that
wasn't saddled with restrictive covenants.  One developer went so far as to
tell my real estate agent that the rules were specifically written to ensure
that no ham radio operator would ever move there.  From my perspective, it
appears that many people are forced to accept an HOA just so they can live
near their job.

We need to start lobbying our legislators at both the federal and state
levels to impose limits on what HOAs can legislate.  My state has very
definite laws about what powers are given to cities and counties.  As far as
I know, HOAs have no restrictions at all.  I've seen covenants that prohibit
"anything that the association finds offensive or undesirable."  Seriously!
And every HOA I've ever seen has at least one CC&R nazi who roams the
neighborhood looking for those offenses.  Rules like PRB-1 need to be
applied to HOA's as well as states, counties and cities.

73,
Clay  W7CE