Re: [TowerTalk] HOA Abuse

To: Blake Bowers <bbowers@mozarks.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HOA Abuse
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 11:35:03 -0400
As much as I agree that he was bound by the rules, I think it could
have been handled better.

The guy was serving overseas (Iraq).

(From what I hear) his wife, obviously distraught, just let the mail
pile up. Unfortunately it is not surprising that this happens to many
military wives whose husbands are deployed overseas.

Buried in this pile of mail was the letters about the fees/dues.

Now, I don't know about you, but wouldn't the people on the HOA board
living in the community?  Didn't someone bother to go talk to this
guy's wife and ask about the dues?

Of course not. Instead they just sent more and more letters.

Again, why did no one go over and ask why the dues have not been paid?
 Seems like a no brainer to me.  I thought that in HOA communities
people got together and discussed things, maybe hung out at the
clubhouse, do projects together etc.  Instead they just send letters
to each other that say "pay up or else!"

But there is a silver lining.  Thankfully he will most likely get some
relief under the law designed to prevent exactly this sort of thing.

73 and God bless our troops
Ryan, N2RJ

On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Blake Bowers <bbowers@mozarks.com> wrote:
> The guy agreed to the HOA rules.  They did not respond to
> the bills.  You don't pay your bills, you lose what you have.
>
> I am not real sure where the issue is.
>
> Turns out the guy may have legal recourse - and he is pursuing it.
>
> Sounds like the system is working.
>
> I am not pro-hoa, just feel that if you AGREE to be bound by
> a HOA's rules, then crying about those rules afterwards is pretty
> stupid.
>

> Don't take your organs to heaven,
> heaven knows we need them down here!
> Be an organ donor, sign your donor card today.

Ryan A. Jairam,