Re: [TowerTalk] airline travel with antenna(s) in a golf bag

To: WW3S <ww3s@zoominternet.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] airline travel with antenna(s) in a golf bag
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 20:05:06 -0700
WW3S wrote:
> Planning a first contest dxpedition....was thinking of packing a small
> vertical, along with some other gear, in a airline type golf bag....will the
> airlines accept this? or does it need to be golf equipment in there? In
> reviewing Delta's policy, it almost looks like they allow only clubs, balls
> and one pair of shoes in the bag...

The guys who did the EME DXpedition in Kenya last year packed all their
antennas in ski bags.  They said there were questions when they unloaded
their "ski"s in Nairobi, but the airline went for it.

Different airlines are different, and you can't necessarily trust the
website, because the person at the counter usually has the final say
(especially if you're standing there with a reservation).

A lot of times there's a generic "sporting equipment" fee.

Or, if you have cash.. you can buy a seat for it.  Just like people with
Cellos, etc.  (we do this at work when hand carrying spaceflight
hardware which won't fit in the overhead bin).