Re: [TowerTalk] Buriable coax?

To: Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Buriable coax?
From: Ryan Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:43:41 -0400
I have seen truly buriable coax for catv (75 ohm) use - it is filled
(flooded) with a tar like substance called "migraheal" which prevents
moisture migration. It is available from commscope and is used for
some underground applications. No idea whether a 50 ohm equivalent
exists.

Andrew Heliax and other hardline might be buriable too.

Ryan, N2RJ

On 7/18/10, Tom Anderson <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Is there any truly "buriable" coax or does one need to snake the "buriable"
> staff through a piece of buried PVC pipe.  I'm installing a vertical in my
> back yard and was wondering which was best?  A note, the area where I live
> is permeated by underground springs that ooze water.
>
> When I dug the 6 ft. hole for my 50 ft crank up in 1992, it filled up
> overnight with water and when I called the city thinking we may have hit a
> waterline someplace.  Their inspectors came out and said this area was
> inpregnated with underground springs.  Once we pumped out the hole you could
> see the water dribbling in from many locations along the sides of the square
> hole.  A friend of mine who owed me a favor dug the hole for free with a
> backhole he owned, so we had to push all the dirt back in.
>
> One thing we did find was a steering wheel to a 1960 Chevy pickup truck at
> the 6 ft level.  No this isn't a hoiusing developement built on top of trash
> dump, according to the city.  Never did figure that one out hi hi.
>
> Finally hired a professional tower installer who dug the hole for the
> concrete base (A TriEX W-51 crankup), set the base, and pumped in the
> concrete all within 10 hours so it wouldn't fill up with water again.
>
> 73 de Tom, WW5L

Sent from my mobile device

Ryan A. Jairam,