Re: [TowerTalk] Re Plumbing a Tower

To: "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Re Plumbing a Tower
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 00:00:55 -0400
Joe:

     Steve K7LXC told me of his trick to get the bottom section of a
self-supporting tower plumb.  The remaining sections should follow along
plumb as a result.  I used his method when I built my Trylon in 2001.

     Before you pour the concrete around the bottom section's stub legs,
fashion a T with two pieces of scrap wood.  The T should be large enough
that you can rest it on top of the legs of the bottom section.  From the
center of this T (and the center is NOT the middle of the vertical piece but
closer to the horizontal piece), suspend a weight on a plumb line long
enough to reach the bottom of the first section.

     Move to one face of the tower and sight along the plumb line to the leg
on the opposite corner.  Use shims to make the leg parallel to the plumb
line.  Next move to another face and repeat the process of sighting along
the line against the opposite leg.  Shim again.  Do this one more time on
the remaining leg.  After a few tries the bottom section should be parallel
to the plumb line on all three sides.  Add concrete and watch it dry.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F