Re: [TowerTalk] best way to free a thrust bearing set pin ( allen nut )

To: Bill NY9H <ny9h@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] best way to free a thrust bearing set pin ( allen nut )
From: Mickey Baker <fishflorida@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 23:44:32 -0400
1. PB Blaster penetrating oil, soak, let it sit overnight, maybe
twice. Use the proper size allen wrench.
2. Heat. Get a heat gun (preferably) or a torch (be careful!) and make
it very hot - turn it while hot. If you are not comfortable being safe
with these tools, get someone who is.
3. Get a new allen nut - you've likely destroyed this one by now.
4. Re-grease the thrust bearing. You've either dissolved it with PB
Blaster or burned/evaporated it away with the heat.

73,
Mickey N4MB

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 9:13 PM, Bill  NY9H <ny9h@arrl.net> wrote:
> moving my tower  gave me a chance to change the 2800 mast clamp to
> the one from XLC.
>
> It does not use the mast centering "pyramid" so i need to shift the
> thrust bearing, so the mast sits on the 2800 plate... otherwise it
> would be hanging on the unbolts on the mast clamp....
>
> trying to let some fine oil loosen it up tonight,,,,
>
> any great ideas how to convince that little 3/16 i think allen nut to
> loosen up ????
> and if it does not , do i have to drill it out ,....????tnx
>
> bill /3

Mickey Baker
Fort Lauderdale, FL
“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve
me, and I will learn.” Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.