Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete testing

To: towertalk@contesting.com, wmgoins@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Concrete testing
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 19:01:12 EDT

In a message dated 9/2/2010 8:46:03 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Good Lord. Whatever happened top Joe Average Ham and  just pouring
concrete
for a base? I can see all this if you have an  gigantic hundreds of feet
high
superstation, but the average guy doesn't  need to have his concrete
analyzed.

>  You dig the hole the  tower manufactuer specifies and you use the
rebar/cage
they say. You guy  correctly if it is guyed tower. You add concrete and make
sure there aren't  voids. 99.999% of us need nothing more than that.

        I agree 100%! The problem  is that the building department thinks
that everything constructed is going to  be habitable - not something less
than 10 yards for another purpose. :-(

        Also, I've never seen or  heard of a tower failing because the base
concrete split fatally. It's always  the steel. (Big base shifting in sand,
mud, etc. excepted.)

        And it's burdensome for an  amateur anything to have to comply with
this monetarily. What a waste of time,  effort and money - for everyone.
Just my opinion. I've counseled permit  applicators to protest it.  It might
work.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH