Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rotor Speed

To: "DF3KV" <df3kv@t-online.de>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Rotor Speed
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 10:25:01 -0500
Hi Peter,

Looking at your pictures, it seems that you should be able to add a sprocket
to the chain drive in your limit switch area.
I had to do a similar thing to mine a few years back.

My original controller used selsyns until one was creamed by a voltage surge
caused by a huge static burst in a storm.
I could not find a matching selsyn at the time so I went to the conventional
controller approach. I now use a modified CDE controller with a RotorEZ
controller interface to control relays mounted at the base of the tower. The
RotorEZ controller module provides excellent interface to my Logger32
logging program.

My Prop Pitch still has the taper gear attached to the top of the gearbox. I
hand cut a matching gear to drive a 500 ohm potentiometer. I made this from
1/4 in. phenolic flat stock. I had an aluminum gear (Home brewed) that had
the same number of teeth as the prop pitch Gearbox to drive the selsyn, but
when I cut the phenolic gear I increased the size so I could get a rotation
of 330 degrees on the potentiometer to 360 degrees on the rotor. I then
mounted the pot to the gear using a spring arm in case of overrun or limit
switch failure. This has worked for several years without any problems.

Attached is a photo of the Rotor showing the added gear. The Rotor is
mounted near the bottom of the tower for easy maintenance. It is the small
prop pitch with 24 vdc motor. It rotates a HyGain TH6 (@ 50ft.) and a 14 el
2M beam (@ 60ft). This is topped off by a lightening arrester which is a
grounded tri-band VHF/UHF Home brewed J-Pole using 1/2 & 1 in. copper
tubing. The complete antenna cluster rotates.

     73's Jim (another one)
      W5IFP