[TowerTalk] Use of Aluminum Nicropress clamps

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Use of Aluminum Nicropress clamps
From: Ray Benny <rayn6vr@cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2010 23:55:54 -0700
To all,

I am helping a friend install 50 ft of Rohn 25G tower. We are guying it
twice using what I call 'nicropress' clamps around the guy wire insulators
and thimbles. In the past, I have always used the copper nicropress clamps
that are coated with nickel, I think it is.

Well, the fellow went to the local hardware store and a bunch of the
aluminum version of the nicropress clamps. I told him that I have never seen
aluminum nicropress clamps used for guying towers. He then looked in QST and
called a store that sells antenna and tower hardware. They told him
that they were fine for tower guywires.

I'm the one who is going to climb the tower and do the antenna work, but I
just don't feel comfortable climbing a tower with guywires built with
aluminum nicropress clamps.

Am I wrong to feel this way, or have the Aluiminum clamps become the
standard? In other words, are they acceptable replacements for the nickel
plated copper ones?

Another question, are two clamps required per joint? I've seen both one and
two nicropress clamps at guywire joints, but never knew if the second was
required.

Please advise.

Ray,
N6VR