Re: [TowerTalk] Use of Aluminum Nicropress clamps

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Use of Aluminum Nicropress clamps
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:46:44 -0400

On 9/9/2010 8:02 AM, John E. Cleeve wrote:
> Hello Ray,
>
>       Over here in EU we use Talurit ferrules, www.talurit.co. it is a
> Swedish designed system, and I suggest you read their instructions for
> ferrule fixing.
>
>       Without you having detailed knowledge of the ferrules used and the
> equipment and tooling to fix those aluminium ferrules you describe, to the
> guy wires, I would not risk my life and limb climbing that tower, even for a
> friend!
>
>       It would be a lot safer for you, if your friend hired a cherry
> picker/hydraulic platform, and you did the aerial/antenna work from that.
Even then I would suggest at least a short course in operation of the
Cherry Picker/Hydraulic platform.
Those have been rolled over, stuck into power lines, and just moved in
the wrong direction at the wrong time.
ALWAYS use the outriggers! There was a link to a news story just in the
past couple of weeks where a worker was killed using one.

I have to admit I do not like using the hydraulic platforms and
particularly the tall ones.  I feel like I'm balanced on the top end of
a wet noodle. They impart a very unsteady feeling to me on flat concrete
let alone on dirt.

73 and good luck,

Roger (K8RI)