Re: [TowerTalk] Old Hygain 215b

To: "Tom Anderson" <andersonww5l@sbcglobal.net>, "mike oconnor" <mike_kn9t@yahoo.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Old Hygain 215b
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 13:16:49 -0500
Tom,

I agree with you. I have had my 214B for about 30 years.

However, I took another approach. I installed a modified TV rotor in the
center of the BOOM.
I modified the rotor head and installed Limit switches at the horizontal and
vertical positions.
I do not use the controller. I just mounted a DP mini toggle switch with OFF
in the center on my
antenna switching box. With a flip the switch the rotor will rotate the
antenna to the
vertical or Horizontal position. I can stop it anywhere in between for
signal phasing.
I have had many 2M SSB QSO's from the San Antonio area to the
Ft. Worth/Dallas and Houston areas (about 230 mi) when the band is open.

     73's Jim
      W5IFP