Re: [TowerTalk] Morning report Copper Theft,

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Morning report Copper Theft,
From: Rob Atkinson <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:27:41 -0500
Probably not scrap value but rather cost of replacement parts and labor to
repair damage, however that still sounds real high.  The news media probably
botched the damage figure.  If the guy had gotten all the copper waveguide
and heliax off the tower, and really trashed everything then it starts
getting more believable.

Reporters who are completely non-technical can bungle some things that are
obviously wrong to anyone who has even a slight knowledge of hardware
costs.  For years my parents and I laughed about a TV news report we saw on
a Memphis TV station about one of those rotating crop irrigation systems,
the kind involving a big long water pipe up on wheels revolving across a
field in a big circle.  Looking into the camera with this thing in the
background behind her, the reporter gushed, "This water system cost TWO
HUNDRED DOLLARS!!!"   At the time it was probably more like $200,000.

Rob
K5UJ