Re: [TowerTalk] Morning report Copper Theft,

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Morning report Copper Theft,
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 01:37:14 -0400

On 9/23/2010 11:27 AM, Rob Atkinson wrote:
> Probably not scrap value but rather cost of replacement parts and labor to
> repair damage, however that still sounds real high.  The news media probably
> botched the damage figure.  If the guy had gotten all the copper waveguide
> and heliax off the tower, and really trashed everything then it starts
> getting more believable.
>
> Reporters who are completely non-technical can bungle some things that are
> obviously wrong to anyone who has even a slight knowledge of hardware
> costs.
That and sensationalism are reasons pilots try to avoid talking to
reporters about any accident.
I happened to be on site when a plane landed "gear up". Now it was
evident that the gear had collapsed for some reason and I was the one
elected to talk to the reporters.  Reporter:  What happened?  Me: Gear
collapsed. Them: You mean the gear was raised after he landed? Me: No,
it broke and collapsed.  I neglected to point out that it collapsed
while trying to jack up the airplane as it was skidding down the runway.

Many, many, many years ago my dad was hauling an "EZ-Way" grain wagon
down the road behind a tractor.  Those wagons are shaped like a large,
rectangular funnel for lack of a better description.  You open a gate at
the bottom and they grain will slide out and no shoveling required.
At any rate he felt a "thump" and the wagon started tracking a bit
strange.  So, he stopped and checked it out. He was a bit surprised to
find a little sports car, "Impaled" (through its grill and radiator), on
the rear tongue of the wagon right under the "slow moving vehicle sign".
BTW the tongue is under the wagon and did not stick out behind it. The
distraught young woman was a bit upset that he had apparently been
dragging her car along for a few hundred feet.  At any rate, she got the
ticket.  The news writeup?.  "Two Injured in car, tractor collision
treated and released".  The only injuries were to her car and pride. It
didn't even damage the wagon tongue which was made of wood.

73

Roger (K8RI)