Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Ground Rods

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd: Ground Rods
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 01:26:21 -0500

On 11/30/2010 6:44 PM, hanslg@aol.com wrote:
>   I want to remember something about just rocking the rod up-and-down while
> putting plenty of water around the rod. This will work as
> "water-drilling-device" and I was told that you, that way, would be able to
> "drill" a grounding rod BY HAND into anything but hard rocks. Is this
> something I was dreaming or it real?
It works for me http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/ground.htm
Some say not to do this as the rod does not make good contact.  Around
here we generally get enough rain that the rods will be in solid within
a day or two or it may take up to a couple weeks in the dry season.

Were this in a dry area I'd probably put some salts in the water filled
hole before dropping in the rod.

OTOH this probably would not work well in *some* sandy areas as the sand
would just keep refilling the hole. Here, what sand we have will hold
its shape.

73

Roger (K8RI)