Re: [TowerTalk] Protecting fibreglass spreaders

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Protecting fibreglass spreaders
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 18:03:54 -0500

On 12/6/2010 9:44 AM, John Tait wrote:
> Hi Martin.. I paint mine with resin. You can add colouring to the resin.
> Sky blue, or light grey seems to merge into the background fairly well.
> I'd wait until the spreaders get a little "furry" with age before
> painting them. A slightly rough surface gives a nice key for the resin.
About half way down on
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/G3_files/G3-7_files/glasair7.htm I ran a
number of tests on fiberglass prep to do laminates on "old", (well
cured) fiberglass and tests to determine a good material to use for what
is called "Peel Ply". Peel Ply goes ontop of the last layup. Once cured
you pull the "peel ply" off and the surface is ready for the next lay-up
with no sanding required.
NOTE: It's a big page with lots of photos.  Clicking on images will give
a much larger view.

I ran tests with no sanding, sanding, and sanding plus a light acetone
wipe. with photos of most of the results.

With the spreaders they can be "prepped" by roughing the entire surface
with a scotch bright pad, and then wiping with Acetone. Don't wash it in
the stuff, just a cloth dampened with Acetone. This leaves the surface
tacky and will give a very good bond to the new material be it
resin/paint, or another lay-up.  The sanding, or scotch brite
application is just enough to "whiten" the entire surface uniformly.

I doubt adding strength is important for the spreaders, but the above
will give very good adhesion to paint or resin.

73

Roger (K8RI)