Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fractal Antennas, Chip Cohen (N1IR) on Nova Last Night
From: Andy <ai.egrps@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 13:11:44 -0500
I didn't watch that Nova, but IIRC it was from about 2 years ago.

Was it that long ago (10 years?) that fractal antennas came out?

There's some fellas here in the northeast USA (don't know if N1IR is
one of them) who have been in business developing fractal antennas ...
it seems the military has some interest in them.  And I've seen
mention of a few talks that they gave, around a couple years ago,
sponsored by the local IEEE societies (I was unable to attend).

There even was something that I saw in my (overfull) inbox a week or
two ago, about using fractals in combination with some sort of
metamaterial, which when combined had interesting properties as an
antenna.  But I'll be darned if I can remember the details now.  It
didn't look like something the rest of us could benefit from, so I
didn't read further ... and my memory is so bad I might have this all
mixed up.

If the military is interested in fractal antennas, there's no saying
how long people will keep working on them, even if they don't work.

Andy