Re: [TowerTalk] NAQP CW + Skimmer

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] NAQP CW + Skimmer
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 11:25:20 -0500
Why is this on TOWERTALK?

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer
From: "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 10:25:54 -0700

The rule is now LESS clear because Skimmer is mentioned.  Is
Skimmer allowed in broadband mode (to find EVERY CQ'ing station,
on EVERY band), or only narrowband mode (used only as a
single-signal code reader)?  If you allow broadband mode, the
entire nature of the contest changes.

My suggestion would be to return to the original rule, and add:
"Broadband code readers  (> 3 KHz input bandwidth) are not
allowed.

NCJ is not the only contest sponsor struggling with Skimmer
issues. The Stew Perry 160 contest just went through a
last-minute re-write of the rules addressing "Skimmer-like
devices."

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ