Re: [TowerTalk] Length of Sloper?

To: <RLVZ@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Length of Sloper?
From: "Stan Stockton" <k5go@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:22:42 -0600
Dick,

Quarter wave slopers just don't work well unless there is top loading -
at least that has been my experience.  If I had a 60 foot tower I would
shunt feed it and use it as a vertical.  You will be quite pleased with
the way it will work with a reasonable ground system under it.  I will
work fine with a small tribander for 80 and 160 so your ground system
will be good for the future.

To answer your question, I would be prepared to make it a LOT longer
than you think it should be.  I would start out with about 85 feet of
wire and fold it back a couple feet at a time to get it in the band
where you can then finalize it.  I think you would be better off with an
Inverted V at 60 feet and then shunt feed the tower after you get the
tribander up.

Stan, K5GO