Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-89 rotator replacement - w/o tilting the tower over?

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-89 rotator replacement - w/o tilting the tower over?
From: John Ammeter <jammeter@cablespeed.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:38:55 -0800
I was told the proper method is to raise the tower whatever distance is
needed to expose the rotor.  Then place a support (it was said a 2" pipe
long enough to hold the inner tower section high enough to expose the
rotor) inside the partially raised tower.   You may need to use a
coupler (not a union) to join two shorter pieces of pipe.  Use that pipe
to support the inner section as you lower the rest of the tower ALL THE
WAY DOWN.  Place supports under the tower sections so they can't fall
any lower should the cable break.  The inner section will be extended
out the top of the collapsed tower exposing the rotor for service.

I have not done this myself but it sounds good to me.

Do NOT put your hands or arms inside the tower to hold the pipe in place
as you lower the tower.

John KE7JA