Re: [TowerTalk] Gigavac Relays

To: Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gigavac Relays
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 08:15:07 -0800

On 12/27/2010 12:40 AM, Jim Thomson wrote:

> ##  Kilovac engs  told me years ago, If you are limited with vdc...and you
> want to speed up a 26.5 vdc relay.... then  simply
> use the 12 vdc version instead. With 24-30 vdc applied  with a simple drop
> resistor..they operate blazing fast.  If you want em still
> faster, then use a small 50 uf lytic across the drop resistor, then it
> becomes a 'RC hot shot circuit' .  If you have +48 vdc available,
> you are laughing.

The drop resistor with 2X voltage only gives half as much
speed up as the K6XX circuit I cited.  However, you cannot
speed it up by going to still higher voltages because
it is limited by contact bounce at that point.

> ##  I had no problems  with building a +120 vdc  supply, using a FWD..for use
>  with speeding up a 26.5 vdc  vac relay.  I use a

Rich Measures assumed the user would have a 90V grid bias supply for
free.  I don't have that but I already have 12V in the shack.

> Later.... Jim   VE7RF

Rick N6RK