Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-89 rotator replacement - w/o tilting the tower over?

To: towertalk@contesting.com, garyejones@cmaaccess.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HDX-89 rotator replacement - w/o tilting the tower over?
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 15:16:38 EST

In a message dated 12/31/2010 6:55:18 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  What are you standing on when you perform this  process?  Are you on a
ladder, a man lift, or standing on the tower  sections?

    I'm standing on the tower.

>  I  have never found that 2x4s or steel pipes truly block a crank up
tower.
Sure you can jam 2x4s through the tower sections, and/or pipe  section
through the telescoping sections, but it is clear that if the lift  cable
sheared, the tower sections would drop significant amounts (enough to  shear
off toes or fingers) before the blocks kick in.

What I do is to put the pipe or wood as close as  I can to the bottom of
each section and then lower the tower until the  sections are either resting
on or very close (within a couple of inches) to  the wood or pipe. Even if
there's a catastrophic cable failure, the section is  either not going to move
or only move a couple of inches - hardly enough  compression or movement to
break anything. That way there is minimal risk.  Another thing you can use
is leg sized U-bolts bolted right under the  section bottoms.

Of course climbing a crank-up - or any tower  for that matter - is
potentially hazardous. The crank-up accidents that I've  heard of were
fortunately
not fatal and happened on older towers without  positive pull-down; a section
would hang up when being lowered and it came  unstuck and headed south when
it was being climbed. If in doubt, double up on  the wood or pipe or
whatever you use to increase your confidence and safety  factor.

Cheers & Happy New Year to all!
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and