[TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE/LIGHTNING PROTECTION -resp. DAVIS RF Co.

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] WHOLE HOUSE SURGE/LIGHTNING PROTECTION -resp. DAVIS RF Co.
From: Stephen Davis <sdavis@davisrf.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 11:45:38 -0500
Hello TT'rs,

There have been some good technicals and experiences pointed out in this
thread.  I have sold PolyPhaser entrance panel devices to
hams and businesses that have mucho dollars tied up in equipment such as audio
processing, ISP's, etc.  The protection of this sort  is expensive, but it is a
step tantamount to "extra insurance coverage", in that monetary insurance alone
will not prevent major down time, lost revenue, or missed DX contacts due to
damaged equipment and the time to replace it and/or if need be, getting the
insurance proceeds first.

Gary K4FMX, made an important point, "   "No matter how good a ground system
you install the voltage on that ground
system will always rise above true earth ground during a lightning strike".
Sometimes by many thousands of volts! This means that ALL equipment and
lines connected to that ground system must rise together to avoid damage.  "

I get calls for quotes to replace wire, cable, SPOE's, insufficient protectors,
etc  etc  and I find that often when a single point ground was used, close to
the station, what was missing was the return from that back to the entrance
panel ground.  This is such a simple undertaking....usually a # 6 or # 4 THHN
(check your code), which is a std. Home Depot item (DAVIS RF always tells you
to get it at Home Depot, the best price and no shipping cost).   And you can
simply run it on the ground, next to your foundation.

  ALso, you never know when you can have a hit, somewhere down the utility
line, away from your station, and a killer to your equipment even if no
lighting attraction at your QTH.

As the old saying goes, " you can pay me now, or pay me later."    HI

73,   Steve,    K1PEK

DAVIS RF Co.,  Div. of Orion Wire Co., Inc.

Wire, Cable, RF Connectors and wire aerial parts.

LMR, Heliax, Eupen

Commercial / Military

Custom Cable Design

tel:  978-369-1738     Fax:  978-369-3484
www.DavisRF.com

> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 06:36:14 -0600 (CST)
> From: David Robbins <k1ttt@verizon.net>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fwd:  WHOLE HOUSE SURGE SUPRESSORS
> To: towertalk@contesting.com
>

> in the grand scheme of lightning protection going from 120v to 200v is MUCH
> better than going from 120v to 200kv or more.
>

> Jan 4, 2011 03:27:18 AM, gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk wrote:
>
> David Robbins wrote:
>> the most important function of a whole house or similar large arrester
>> serving a building is to equalize the voltage between all the
>> conductors so that all the equipment connected to it is as the same
>> potential.
>
> We don't truly mean "equalize" and "same potential" here.
>
> When MOVs conduct, they do not crowbar their two terminals together to
> equalize the voltages. They act more like bidirectional zener diodes, so
> they attempt to limit the applied voltage *difference*... which can
> still be quite large.
>
> In a typical US home installation, the threshold voltage of the MOVs
> must be well above 115V AC to ensure that the MOVs will not conduct at
> the peaks of normal line voltage. When a surge arrives and the MOVs do
> begin to conduct, the clamping action is quite 'soft' so the voltage
> difference between the two lines can easily exceed 200V (depending on
> the source impedance from which the surge arrives).
>
> When seen against the grand scale of lightning voltages, 200V might
> conceivably be called "the same potential". But the connected equipment
> doesn't share that view - it still sees the 200V across its terminals.
>

> --
>
> 73 from Ian GM3SEK
> http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
>

> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 06:30:30 -0800
> From: "Jim Thomson" <jim.thom@telus.net>
> Subject: [TowerTalk] Whole house  surge suppressor's
> To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
>
> Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 03:02:53 -0800 (PST)
> From: AI4WM Bill <ai4wm@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Whole house  surge suppressor's.
> To: towertalk@contesting.com, Jim Thomson <jim.thom@telus.net>
>
> Jim,
> I agree with your statement about most consumer grade surge protectors.? Many
> cannot handle arc flash and the tremendous amount of energy from a strike.?
> Then many that could are not installed to correctly dissipate what they
> should.
>
> Where I live FPL supplies whole house protection at the meter for a small
> monthly fee and they will pay for damage up to a given amount should their
> protectors fail.
>
> After working in commercial radio and seeing the protection used as well as
> what PP&L used when I lived in PA I cringe at much of the chinese junk being
> sold as protection. Also as a former fire fighter I am very surprised we did
> not and do not see more fires caused by the cheap junk out there.
>
> 73,

> [...]
Message: 7