Re: [TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s
From: Ian White GM3SEK <gm3sek@ifwtech.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 23:05:26 +0000
Pete Smith wrote:
>Has anyone had any experience with compression-type PL-259s?  I haven't
>had any in my hands yet, but they appear in places like the Farnell
>catalog in the UK, and use a compression scheme similar to compression
>Type N connectors, which seem to be much more common.  I would do
>almost anything not EVER to solder another PL-259 braid connection,

Highly recommended. I used the compression sleeve N type for years, and
was very happy when they also became available in a PL259.

Cable prep consists of one flush cut through the jacket, braid and
insulation, then push the 'top hat' ferrule under the braid (flare the
braid very slightly to make sure that the ferrule slides cleanly
underneath and doesn't catch). When the pressure sleeve is fully
tightened, the cable anchorage is very strong and completely waterproof.

However, this is still a PL259 so the center pin has to be soldered and
it doesn't have a water seal inside the outer ring. Waterproofing will
thus be little different from a regular PL259 - it's as good or bad as
you make it.

--

73 from Ian GM3SEK
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek