Re: [TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Compression-type PL-259s
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 08:55:54 -0500
> That is the old type. The newest type is here;

These look like the "Holy Grail" of UHF connectors.  After a bit of
searching, RF Industries makes a comparable model, available for us folk on
this side of the ocean:

http://tinyurl.com/4zn9ayf

Available in the U.S. for USD $5.63 ea. at Tessco if you've got a gold
account.  Otherwise, prices seem to range between USD $7-$10 from other
sources in the U.S.

I find it interesting that unlike a typical "N" compression fitting, the
braid is not soldered onto the "clamp" at Step #2.  Perhaps it can be
soldered at the user's option?  Take a look at the step-by-step assembly:

http://tinyurl.com/45gryqy

Despite the added cost and extra hardware, these connectors offer something
that the standard PL-259 does not:  The ability to inspect your work before
and after the cable is fitted into the connector body (but before the pin is
crimped and/or soldered).  When using RG-8/213/LMR400 into a standard
PL-259, once the braid is soldered to the body, work cannot be inspected,
nor can the cable be extracted back from the connector body before final
assembly at the pin.

I will definitely try these on my next outdoor project.

Paul, W9AC