Re: [TowerTalk] Non-Guyed Support for 80m Horizontal Loop at 35 feet

To: jdolson@laconic-designs.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Non-Guyed Support for 80m Horizontal Loop at 35 feet
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2011 17:45:54 -0800
The concern about the irrigation pipe should be its breaking strength as
a composite structure.  The concrete has low tensile strength and
without reinforcement in addition to the very thin Al tube, I doubt will
survive.  Maybe a fiber reinforced concrete will add enough tensile
strength, who knows?  Save your pipe for making a vertical on top of the
barn, arena, stable, etc. where you can guy it.  With elevated radials
it makes a terrific antenna.

I have 4 telephone poles planted about 4' holding antennas, two for a
360' long dipole across a gulch, another with a A4S beam, another had a
GAP vertical.  I did put guys on the A4s pole since I climb that one.
The others haven't moved, dug with a tractor 18" PTO auger and hand
tamped, in the horse pasture.  Your tension in the loop shouldn't be
more than about 70# per leg so is not likely to move a pole much.  If
they do tilt pull them upright with the tractor and put a diagonal brace
on the inside from a 15' piece of pole.  Use some steel brackets or
all-thread to hold them together.

Unfortunately, PG&E now cuts all used poles into dumpster sized pieces
at removal so used ones over 12' long are hard to get .:-(

As to other "inexpensive options", steel pipe or square tube (better)
would work.  A 20' 4x4x3/16" plus 20' 3.5x3.5x1/4" welded with about 1'
of overlap might show a little bend but will be strong enough according
to my ranch/experience calibrated guess.  YMMV or get some calcs done.
about $400 new per pole, cheaper if from a scrapper.

Grant  KZ1W