Re: [TowerTalk] Non-Guyed Support for 80m Horizontal Loop at 35 feet

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Non-Guyed Support for 80m Horizontal Loop at 35 feet
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 10:14:04 -0800
Thanks Jim,

A bit of an oops in my post, I hit send rather than save as draft.

I was using buckling loosely as a term although for the really big poles
the standard does include column buckling and uses a segmented approach
for the taper for the wind load bending moments and stress.

I haven't done a decent calc for the wind load stress, I need to refresh
some very old learning or find a java app :-) .

What would be really neat is for somebody with a bit more expertise than
I have to figure out several cost optimized self supporting poles for
wire antennas.  For example my steel supplier stocks 20' lengths, so
they would be good for 35' poles.  One of the Metal Supermarkets or the
like has 24 footers, so they would be good for 42' or so.  The question
to be answered is what is the cheapest pole design for some wind load
(e.g. 80mph) and say 200 lb of wire force at the top?  Beyond 42' might
be best left to a Structural PE, soils engineer, and professional erector.

I'm partial to square tube steel since the moments are higher than pipe
and there is a variety of wall thickness available for ease of
telescoping fits.  Also, the average ham could probably thru bolt the
joints rather than some structural welding.

Of course, caveat emptor, YMMV, do not rely on this post for anything,
all risks are yours, my calcs are probably incorrect, etc etc

Grant  KZ1W