Re: [TowerTalk] Underground conduit question

To: "'Rroger \(K8RI on TowerTalk\)'" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Underground conduit question
From: "Peter Dougherty" <w2irt@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2011 22:55:15 -0500
Without quoting back the whole thread, here's what I've done so far. The
tape goes in about 3 feet or so and just stops quite suddenly. I'm using
greenlee fish tape, very solid steel and about 1/8" wide. I cut the hook off
to prevent it from catching on anything and just kept poking at various
points around the circumference of the conduit. It managed to go in another
foot or two but that was it. It looks like the blockage is right under the
riser portion of cable. Likely snow got blown in (despite the 180-degree
sweep), melted and froze.

At this juncture I'm not going to do anything until the spring. I had one
run of RG-6 in there for a sense antenna leading to an MFJ-1026. I
disconnected the sense wire, put in an F-barrel, added 35' of RG-6, an
F-female-to-PL-259 adapter, a double-female UHF barrel, soldered on a PL-259
to the short end of the cable from the remote box and it worked good enough
to let me bag the VP8 on 160 last night. I've just used Scotch 130 around
all the hardware but I will go out and double-wrap in Scotch 88 tomorrow if
I'm a little less sore and a bit more flexible!

I think the best solution is to just pull out the bad cable and tie on some
1/4" rope once the better weather arrives. I will definitely replace the
existing coax with BuryFlex and I will also take the occasion to run a new
length of 160m TX coax as well (also will be BuryFlex).

My real concern is how to put in the conduit in the "back-40," from the end
of the existing conduit to the base of the remote box, as described in my
original post. Unlike the run across my back lawn, this continues to slope
downwards on average, but undulates a little in the middle. In other words,
it's not a straight run, and the general course is downward, away from the
house. When the original conduit was put in, that little digger made easy
work of the one-foot-deep trench. I won't have that luxury this time and the
back area has far more sub-surface boulders and tree roots than the existing
conduit. In other words, I wanna do this right the first time and not set
myself up for even more nightmares over the next few winters.

------

 - pjd