Re: [TowerTalk] shut fed tower and rotator

To: "K8RI on TT" <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] shut fed tower and rotator
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 17:07:48 -0500
Gary:

     I shunt-feed my tower on 160 and 80M, too, and don't have that problem
with the rotator indicator.  I'm running 100W.  I think it's because I have
two solenoid-like coils in the rotator control cable.  One is just
underneath the rotator support platform at the top of the tower, in the
short piece of cable that goes from the rotator to an 8-pin trailer hitch
connector (from The Wireman) that takes the cable down to the bottom of the
tower, inside the tower structure, not on the outside.  This placement might
provide some amount of Faraday cage-like isolation for the cable.

     The second solenoid is at that bottom end of the cable where it enters
a steel box on the tower that also contains my arrestors and antenna switch.
Both solenoids are two inches ID and consist of four turns.  You can see a
photo here:
http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j282/ersmar/?action=view&current=Towerbase.jpg
 .
The solenoid is beneath the steel box, on the left. YMMV.

     BTW - I have a second trailer-hitch connector inside the box.  It's
there so I can bring out the control box from the shack and rotate the
antenna from the base of the tower, like while I'm doing maintenance.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F