Re: [TowerTalk] birds on the elements

To: "'Tower and HF antenna construction topics.'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] birds on the elements
From: "Mike" <noddy1211@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 17:59:49 -0800
I can Guarantee you that the OWL will not work.  I have a very large Hawk
that that comes zooming out of the sun and picks a small bird off the
antenna in the morning.  The little birds scatter for all of 3 minutes and
come straight back, but this time with the very large Hawk sitting in the
middle of the antenna digesting is breakfast, I guess they all figure that
they are safe while the Hawk is sitting there among them.

At nights a very large Barn owl sits on the antenna, but he does not do much
good as all the birds are asleep: -), as Owls are mostly nocturnal I am sure
most daytime birds have never seen one and so, see no danger.  So you would
think a Large Hawk would do better.....Not.

Mike