Re: [TowerTalk] Interpreting symptoms

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Interpreting symptoms
From: "Jim McDonald" <jim@n7us.net>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 08:42:39 -0500
I have a 4L SteppIR.  I'd guess a bad coax or something similar too, but you
can easily check the EHUs from your shack with an ohmmeter, and you can
measure the voltage output of the controller.

I use a Top Ten Devices band decoder to switch a remote antenna switch on
the top of the tower.  It works on all bands with my antennas except I have
to manually switch to the SteppIR on 6M.

When I forgot to do that I got an SWR of 2.4, and varying the driven element
length didn't do anything either.  The coax was disconnected at the antenna
end until I manually switched to the correct antenna.

Jim N7US