Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bearing Plate

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 45 Bearing Plate
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2011 18:31:31 -0400
On 5/3/2011 7:38 PM, K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 5/3/2011 2:08:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> towertalk-request@contesting.com writes:
>
>>   I am using Rohn 45 and want to put a second thrust bearing  between the
> rotator and mast. The bearing plate p/n BPL45G can only be mounted  at the
> top. Is there any way of putting a second bearing plate between the  rotator
> and the the top baring plate?
>

>          Skip the 2nd thrust  bearing. You'll need a real precise fit to
> prevent binding and these parts  aren't that precise. Just put the plate it.
> You only need it to capture the mast  when the bottom of the mast is loose and
> the AS is plenty.

Getting them lined up is easy as long as the bolt holes in the mount are
loose, the bearings are not close together AND they are not used to
support the weight of the mast when the system is in use.
Center the bearing on the mast, tighten the bolts between the bearing
and the mount, and then loosed the bolts between the bearing and mast.

Remember many rotators are designed to support the weight. Thrust
bearings that hold the mast vertically can (if the mast if long enough)
create a negative force on top of the rotator with changes in temperature.

73

Roger (K8RI)