Re: [TowerTalk] concrete bases for freestanding towers

To: "'WA8JXM'" <wa8jxm@gmail.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] concrete bases for freestanding towers
From: "Gary \"Joe\" Mayfield" <gary_mayfield@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 07:57:39 -0500
Ken,

        I just put in a base for a HDBX-48 on Wednesday.  Several people
here on the list thought the 5 yards of concrete specified by Rohn was not
enough and the rebar specified by Rohn was completely in adequate.  Most of
the local old timers thought I was putting in crazy too much concrete, as
their towers had been put in with at most 3 yards and had been up for years.
One local in particular whom I know has put up many towers (all of which are
still up) advised me all that was really needed a little under 2 yards of
concrete.  I respect this guy because I know for a fact he has been there
and done that.  It was kind of difficult to go against years of local
experience and wisdom, but in the end I chose to follow the prime directive.
At $93 per cubic yard is was not an easy decision to make on my budget.  I
was able to save some $ by hand digging the hole myself the day before,
which was a lot of work for a fat aging man.

        The strange thing is Rohn sells or at least used to sell a cylinder
"dirt" base for these towers that has/had a very small volume.  I suspect
the true answer is a little of both.  The old numbers were used to sell
towers - look how easy this is, and you only need to a 2 yards of concrete!
The new numbers are driven by liability.

73,
Joe kk0sd