[TowerTalk] Fw: zapped with my dipole. OUCH!

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Fw: zapped with my dipole. OUCH!
From: "Sam Andrews" <sandrews@aristotle.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 11:02:19 -0500
The gentleman who began this thread was concerned with eliminating the OUCH!
he got when disconnecting the transmission lines when storms were
approaching.
Another question might be "do I really want to leave an open transmission
line in the shack that might receive a direct or induced lightning strike?"

In my case, the answer is NO.  I saw one installation that took a big
induction hit with an open coax on a rig in the kitchen.  The strike arced
from the PL-29 a foot or so to a built-in home intercom system, then to a
sink faucet on one side, and a central vacuum system outlet on the other.
Destroyed the intercom and piped vacuum system, and damaged the plumbing.

I have always left my lines connected to the rig.  I have taken 4 or 5
induction hits and the only harm was antenna relays and power supplies
(easily and inexpensively fixed), as well as some consumer electronics
devices.  Better that than jumping around to other stuff in the home, in my
opinion.

73, Sam  AE5L