Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: zapped with my dipole. OUCH!

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Fw: zapped with my dipole. OUCH!
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2011 22:32:39 -0400
On 5/15/2011 6:37 PM, Stan Labinsky Jr. wrote:
> There is another aspect that hasn't been mentioned here regarding handling
> antenna downfeeders;
>
> Being a member of Sky Warn, I've heard about the possibility, no, the
> probability of a lightning strike happening ten or more miles away from a
> storm.

Earlier I told of the lightning striking the power pole from my neighbor
and myself.  That storm was on the order of 10 miles from us.

Also, quite a few years back, my plane was at the FBO's at Houghton
Lake( KHTK ) for maintenance.  I was flying a Cherokee 180 up to see how
things were going and a friend who is both a pilot and ham, went with
me. On climb out we could see a lone cumulus of substantial size over
Gladwin (GDW) which was right on our intended flight path. Not wanting
to tangle with thunderstorms we went straight North which would put us
about 12 miles due East of the Storm.  As we were passing it, my friend
asked how close I though we could safely get to the storm. Just as he
said that, a bolt of lightning left the cumulus at our level (5,000
feet) and pointed right at us.  It curved down and stuck the ground
about 2 miles to the West of us, or abut 10 miles from the storm.  Where
it struck was in bright sunshine.

73

Roger (K8RI)