Re: [TowerTalk] Chrome Moly mast coating

To: towertalk@contesting.com, weiss680@bellsouth.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chrome Moly mast coating
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 10:03:15 EDT

In a message dated 5/18/2011 7:19:38 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  I've located a source for Chrome Moly tubing.  The  tubing is annealed
and normalized, but would this be suitable for an antenna  mast. My thought
is the weather, and what would happen over time because its  not galvanized.

    You probably want to coat it with something.  Hot-dipped galvanizing is
the gold standard and will last for years but you  can do it yourself with
satisfactory results.

    You should clean it with TSP, put a primer coat  on it and then
something as a final coat. There are lots of commercial  coatings, ship paint,
etc.
Check on the internet or call a paint store for  more info. It'd be good if
you poured some down the middle to minimize rusting  there too.

    BTW it's been my experience that most people  who mention chromoly
masts don't really need them. Many times something a lot  less expensive will
suffice; e.g. SAE 1026 (65k psi), A530 (about the same).  What is your local
windspeed rating and what are you proposing for antennas on  the mast? I just
hate to see you spend money that you don't have to - them  suckers are
expensive.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH