Re: [TowerTalk] Chrome Moly mast coating

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chrome Moly mast coating
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 09:56:37 -0700
Nah .. let's go for Metal Matrix Composite (MMC).  MMC is fabricated by
infusing a metal (usually aluminum) into a porous matrix (ceramic or
carbon fiber).  Very strong and very stiff ... and very expensive.  A
few years ago it was used in some top of the line bicycle frames but I
don't see it much anymore ... pretty harsh ride, I think.

By the way, if I remember correctly titanium has a somewhat non-linear
stress curve.  A bit flexy at low bending force, but resists more
strongly as the stress is increased.  That might imply a more whippy
mast than other materials for the same ultimate strength.  Again, high
end bicycle frames are made of this stuff to take advantage of that
property.  More riding comfort normally, but lots of stiffness when you
hit the pedals really hard.

73,
Dave   AB7E