[TowerTalk] Bonding coax to tower

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bonding coax to tower
From: "Tom Mandera" <tsm1@tmcom.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2011 13:51:33 -0600
For my installation, I mounted some 2x2x1/8 aluminum angle at the top of
the tower as a stand-off for a dipole, and also a convenient place to
terminate the heliax.

The hardline runs N connectors to bulkhead unions mounted to the aluminum
(and thus grounded to the tower through stainless steel bolts, stainless
washers, and then drilled into the tower top - HDBX40, not round-tube Rohn
25 or the like).

>From the bulkhead connectors, I transition to the flexible jumpers to the
antennas (all N connectors).

At the base of the tower, something similar, but ATT350G arrestors instead
(in bulk, the incremental cost between a bulkhead union and the ATT350G N
union was minimal).  From there, flexible coax jumpers to the remote
antenna switch (in this case, N to PL-259 conversion takes place on the
jumper) and then from the switch (with an N to PL-259 adapter threaded in)
to more hardline back to the shack.

I needed to make the transition from heliax to flexible coax at the top
and bottom of the tower anyways, so bulkheads were the obvious solution.

-Tom
ke7vux