Re: [TowerTalk] HAM-IV Ball Bearings

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HAM-IV Ball Bearings
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 14:25:45 -0400
On 6/27/2011 11:29 PM, Mike Short wrote:
> You can get them from Hygain(MFJ).
>
> Why do you need to replace them?
They rust and can become abrasive.
> Just clean and regrease with lithium
> grease. If they are bad, the bearing race is also bad, since it is
> softer than the bearings.
Although it does happen, you are unlikely to see that kind of wear as
the rotator spends a vast portion of its life just setting there.
Typically the problems come from lack of use or neglect in "storage".
That and the tolerance in those rotators is *huge* due to the way they
are constructed.   Often the rotator in question was "laying out back"
some where for years and has rusted bearings and/or dirt in it. These
are usually salvageable and can be made to look and work like new.

*Made to look like new*. Which reminds me, be careful at swaps. I've
seen a lot of rotators for sale recently that look like new.  Are they
completely rebuilt, or have they just had a nice paint job?

As long as they are not overloaded and the wear isn't so bad they
"bottom out" (opposing sides rub against each other) they will probably
be fine.  Rusted bearings can eat up the race if left long enough. I
find old ones with lots of rust and dirt inside , yet the races are fine.

73

Roger (K8RI)