Re: [TowerTalk] Underground cabling

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Underground cabling
From: K8RI on TT <k8ri-on-towertalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 04:42:46 -0400
On 7/18/2011 12:18 AM, Jim Miller wrote:
> I'm about ready to dig the trench for my feedline conduit. I'm satisfied
> with the size but unsure of what to do about terminating either end. Both
> ends will exit above ground and there is about a 2ft slope over 60ft. The
> conduit runs under my lawn from the shrub bed near the house to the wood
> line where the antennas are located. Due to propane lines etc, I'm not
> burying the runs around the house on the way to the utility panel, rather
> just leaving them above ground.

There are several ways to terminate the end of the conduit, but I chose
what I think is the easiest way. I use NEMA boxes.  I think they are #4,
but I could be wrong on the number.  They have gasketed, hinged doors.
stand offs for an internal back panel and are already primed.  They
should be painted for exterior use.  I run the conduit up into the
bottom of the box and then use feed throughs to get the coax and  and
compression fittings to get the control cables back out.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm Shows large and
small boxes including one about 3' above the base of the 45G. there is a
smaller one with a bulkhead grounding kit and PolyPhasers, although that
one has been enlarged.  Actually it also shows the old and new box at
the bottom of the tower.  I think that one is about a 20 X 24" cabinet.
I used two sweep 45's for each 90.  Near the bottom it shows the conduit
coming up to the tower and into the box on the side of the shop as
well.  The box on the tower also handles the two feed lines to the UHF
TV antennas and the dual satellite dish for a total of 4 RG-6 lines
which are flooded coax.

There are two LMR-600 lines running into the den/shack in the house and
two running into the shop. There likely will be a third added to each.
Also the 50' 45G on the West end of the shop will be added to the
switching arrangement and likely will be fed from the 6-pack in the NEMA
box at the base of the tower so I may have one more conduit to run from
the 45G to the base of the 25G.

Hope you find this of use.

73

Roger (K8RI)