Re: [TowerTalk] Metal roofs and EMI/RFI

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Metal roofs and EMI/RFI
From: "Jim W7RY" <jimw7ry@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2011 09:47:52 -0700
Back to the original subject....

If you live near any AM broadcast transmitters, (5 miles) I would not
recommend a metal roof of any kind.

When I lived near several, I would get mixing in my metal rain gutters when
I lived on the south hill in Spokane.

I had to use DC ground antennas to keep the mixing away on most bands. A DC
ground antenna has very low resistance at low frequencies.

I could not run a dipole without a balun, and HF beam antennas had to have a
beta match (Hy-gain mono banders, TH6 etc) and or a trifiler would balun,
which shows a short at DC.  A choke type balun would not keep the mixing out
of the rig.

The statement about mixing is correct. The only time it's an issue is when
there are multiple transmitters at the same location.

73
Jim W7RY