Re: [TowerTalk] Metal roofs and EMI/RFI

To: n4zr@contesting.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Metal roofs and EMI/RFI
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2011 09:39:24 -0700
My metal roofs are 2 miles direct line of sight to the towers of a 1 MHz
50kw AM station.  Needless to say, that RF was everywhere and to measure
any millivolt signals on my scopes I installed a good ground system and
serious AC line filtering.

Since the BCB signal was so powerful, I installed a BCB brick wall
hi-pass filter at my Icom 756 and didn't hear any spurious AM signals or
mixing products.  All antennas had good baluns.

One fact I recall from FCC emissions testing of computers is that the
metal to metal (no DC path) overlap such as in a metal roof provides a
lot of capacitance between plates.  IMO it's one factor that tends to
reduce the potential for PIM and makes metal roofs appear as contiguous
plates at HF.

I also found that the MFJ-269 was useless for antenna measurements since
it uses a wide-band detector.  Without any filtering, the AIM-4170 did
ok with some artifacts that could be easily dismissed as such.

Grant
KZ1W