Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 slopers & Radials

To: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 1/4 slopers & Radials
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mts.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 00:19:05 -0500
I suspect the differences in half-sloper performance are related to what one
poster here (I think it was W8JI, but forgive me Tom if it wasn't you)
referred to as the half-sloper's inherent unreliability as an antenna
design.

I wonder if it's because depending on the actual installation, how it
actually plays differs. Could it be that if it's fed against an insufficient
top hat (yagi), or at the wrong height, or at the wrong angle, or installed
while the user is wearing the wrong colour socks or whatever, that instead
of acting like a top-fed 1/4-wave, it actually excites the tower as a form
of a vertical instead?

That might explain why some people swear by radials (they're actually
exciting the tower as a vertical) while some see no difference.

I know I've seen posts here where people praise the half-sloper as the
greatest thing since the spark-gap while others said they ended up getting
much better performance by replacing it with a plain, old inverted-vee.

Either way, one of the beautiful things about this hobby is the process of
discovery and finding out for yourself.

73, kelly
ve4xt