Re: [TowerTalk] Recognize this tower?

To: David Blake <dhblake@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Recognize this tower?
From: W2RU - Bud Hippisley <W2RU@frontiernet.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:43:28 -0400
Supporting N4DB's premise:

Years ago (i.e., long before DX Clusters), as a still-young EE, I was working
long hours at GE -- in part, to pay for my ham radio "habit":  Collins on the
desk and antennas outside that were bigger and higher than anyone else's in the
area.  (At the time, that meant 70 feet and a TH-6DXX / S-402 combo.)

Less than a quarter-mile from me lived a retired school teacher, Charlie Taylor
(SK), then-K2KBI.  He lived in a small 1-story ranch house and his antenna
"farm" consisted of a low-power trap-tribander no more than five feet above the
peak of his roof, mounted to a small tripod.  Whenever I ran into him, he was
very soft-spoken and low-key.

Even before he retired, Charlie was home by 4 p.m. most days. I was usually at
work until 7 or later, and many times until midnight and on weekends.  We never
caused interference to each other because when Charlie was on the air, I was
still at work.  When I was on the air, Charlie was already in bed.

Charlie was on the Honor Roll; I still am not.  Very tall towers buy you the
ability to "open" and "close" the bands, and to walk into just about any pileup
and get out of it quickly with a QSO.  But if you don't or can't spend time in
front of the rig, they're basically useless.  For those able to put "time in
the chair", it's less a matter of antenna height and more a matter of being in
the right place(s) MOST of the time, coupled with knowing how to outsmart 99%
of the rest of the pileup.  Bludgeon vs. finesse, in other words.

Bud, W2RU