Re: [TowerTalk] Maasdam "Powr Pull"

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Maasdam "Powr Pull"
From: k6xt <k6xt@k6xt.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2011 20:50:02 -0600
8 tons. Wow. If this unit has your typical 18 inch handle, Rick, I'd be
inclined to think the unit will withstand 8 tons before it flies apart,
but the user is not about to apply 8 tons with the little handle.

Unless maybe it has a series of pulleys?

Caveat emptor!

73 Art

On 9/23/2011 5:48 PM, Rick Karlquist wrote:
> A question for you come along experts.
>
> I saw some come alongs at the Chinese tool store (you know the one)
> that claimed to pull some huge weight like 8 tons.  Assuming
> the user applies 40 lbs, this is a 400:1 mechanical advantage,
> not counting friction.  This is hard to believe.  Is this
> true of these or even the American equivalents?  Or is this
> specsmanship where it moves an 8 ton boat onto a trailer
> or something like that?
>
> Rick N6RK

73 Art K6XT~~
"Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm."
~~ Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill (1874-1965)